Last week, I had the pleasure of attending Hubspot’s INBOUND conference for the first time. One of the (many) perks of being located in the Seaport is that it only takes 20 minutes to walk to the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center! So I packed a bag with snacks and other essentials, threw on my sneakers, and headed over to one of the most talked-about events in marketing.
I spent most of my time in Club INBOUND, meeting other people and enjoying the hustle and bustle of marketers who were just as excited as I was. Some insider tips: the Ramen at lunch comes in a jar for easy eating-on-the-go, and if you head over to the Wicked Good Market, there’s a pub where you can grab a drink and apps to make better connections with your new contacts!
In between networking and checking out other MarTech companies in Boston, I also got to see some inspirational keynote speakers. Shonda Rhimes, Alex Rodriguez, and Lena Waithe were motivational and got me amped up to complete my personal and professional goals this year. Below are some highlights from their talks:
Shonda Rhimes discussed how to overcome fear to achieve your professional goals:
- “You push through fear by just doing, and so I just did.”
- “If you’re not willing to walk away, you’re not negotiating. They’ve already won.”
Alex Rodriguez discussed how teamwork and drive helped him accomplish his goals on and off the baseball field:
- “Have a personal Board of Advisors. You are only as good as the average of the 5 people you surround yourself with.”
- “I have a PhD in falling, but I have a Master’s in getting back up.”
Lena Waithe discussed being true to yourself and living in the moment:
- “It’s not my job to knock the other fighter out, it’s my job to do it in a way I haven’t done before.”
- “Capture today. Because tomorrow everything is going to change.”
Between the keynote speakers, meeting other attendees, and feeling the excitement in the air at the BCEC, I left Hubspot on Friday ready to accomplish our goals and take our marketing to new heights. I recommend that anyone who is on the fence about attending seriously considers spending a week in the Boston Seaport at INBOUND. And while you’re here, stop by our offices and say hi!